Speed limits are set by the State of Indiana and unless they are overridden by local ordinances, those speed limits are in effect on our county roadways.
To see the list of State of Indiana speed limit laws, click on the following link:
To see a list of our local speed limit ordinances click here:
Urban Speed Limits are under Indiana Code. The local county governments do not ordinance Urban speed limit areas as they fall under Indiana Code as law. Urban speed limits are defined as follows:
Sec. 193 "Urban district" means the territory contiguous to and including any street that is built up with structures devoted to business, industry, or dwelling houses situated at intervals of less than two hundred (200) feet for a distance of at least one-fourth (1/4) mile.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC. 1.
Maximum speed limits
Sec. 2. Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with section 1 of this chapter, the slower speed limit specified in this section or established as authorized by section 3 of this chapter is the maximum lawful speed. A person may not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed in excess of the following maximum limits:
1) Thirty (30) miles per hour in an urban district.
2) Fifty-five (55) miles per hour, except as provided in subdivisions (1), (3), and (4).
3) Sixty-five (65) miles per hour, on a highway on the national system of interstate and defense highways located outside of an urbanized area (as defined in 23 U.S.C. 101)with a population of at least fifty thousand (50,000), except as provided in subdivision (4).
4) Sixty (60) miles per hour for a vehicle (other than a bus) having a declared gross weight greater than twenty-six thousand (26,000) pounds on a highway on the national system of interstate and defense highways located outside an urbanized area (as defined in 23 U.S. C. 101) with a population of at least fifty thousand (50,000).
(5) Fifteen (15) miles per hour in an alley.
As added by P.L. 2-1991, SEC. 9, Amended by P.L. 92-1991-, SEC. 2; P.L. 1-1993, SEC. 56.